UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

We are due to move out of our rented accomodation next week.

Customer Question
Th landlord has been today...
We are due to move out of our rented accomodation next week. Th landlord has been today to assess house before returning bond, he was very nasty to the point where I felt seriousy bullied and ended up in tears. He criticised decor in all cases despite the fact that when we moved in the house was a state and we have put new carpets down. I agreed to his list of repairs he wanted doing but respectfully XXXXX XXXXX to him that we had put new carpets in and he had never fixed the gas fire so we have had no working fixed heating since August 2009 - he said this wasn't his responsibility and if we wanted it done we should have paid for it doing or got a plug in fire. In addition to this there was no gas safety checks done until August 2009 - we moved in in May 2008, when the check was done it showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and the fire was cut off. I have been bullied today and feel he needs to learn his responsibilities. He rents out approx 70 other properties.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/22/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate

Hiya,

Has the deposit been put into a TDS?

No, as far as I know the deposit is just in his bank account. He said he would send a cheque when we have done his list.

Hiya,

If this is an assured shorthold tenancy then the landlord should ahve placed your deposit into a tenancy deposit scheme - this would have protected the deposit and avoided these problems. His failure to put into a TDS may well entitle you to three times the value of the deposit - you can obtain this by taking him to the court - www.monelyclaim.go.uk.

You write to him for an explanation - this may sort out all your problems.

I hope that this helps

Please press ACCEPT

Could you please tell me if there is a body I can report him to regarding the gas fire and safety tests that were not undertaken/fixed?

Please do not answer if I will be charged again.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.