How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am moving in with my partner and want to find out if he has

Resolved Question:

i am moving in with my partner and want to find out if he has any outstanding debts and if he has a second mortgage on his property
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You can check the registered title of his property by downloading a copy of the register from the Land Registry and paying a £4.00 fee:-


A second mortgage (ie. a "charge") would be registered against the title on the Charges Register as a "Resitriction", it would also list the lender in question.


If a creditor of your partner has applied to have a debt upon which they have received judgement registered against the property then this would also be listed in the charges register as a "Charging Order".


As to debts which are not secured against the property I'm afraid you will have to rely on the honesty of your partner. The creditors will not give away the details of any agreements they have with him because they are bound to the Data Protection Act.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you