UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Hi there I have seperated from my partner. We have a joint…

Customer Question
Hi there I have...
Hi there I have seperated from my partner. We have a joint mortgage which I have have been paying on my own since March 2010. We have sold the house but I will still have to make one more payment till completetion. Am I able to claim back from him the half he has not paid since leaving the property upon the funds being split on completion? He is disputing the payment I have requested. Thank you for your time
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/17/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

hi

are there any children involved

what agreement did you reach prior to the sale?

claire

There are no children involved. He left the property and said he could not pay the mortgage as he had rent to pay, I have since paid everything and had his name removed off the joint account so all payments are made by me in my name and no payments from my ex have been made into that account. The only arrangement was verbal saying I would pay the mortgage to stop any arrears forming, however on completion I would like his 50% of the missed payments back. He is now disputing this and saying as it is an interest only mortgage I am not technically paying it off. Basically I am looking for advise before I instruct a solicitor to keep costs down. If solicitors were involved and he did have to pay back his 50% of the mortgage I have already paid out would he then pay my legal costs? I have to work out if it is in my financial advantage to follow this through! Thank you for your time and advise. Stephanie
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.