UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

can you be evicted as a tennant just because a private landlord…

Customer Question
can you be evicted as...
can you be evicted as a tennant just because a private landlord wants to increase rent and you as the tennant a) is not in rent arrears
b) cannot afford the rent
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
What tenancy do you have
was a 12 months tenancy which end march 2010 never discuss with landlord about renewal as they told me they were happy with me and my family living here. Just been paying month to month since March.

Hiya,

On that basis your tenancy will continue on a periodic tenancy basis - this basically means it continues on the original terms and for you to be evicted the landlord would have to give you two months notice. He is allowed to serve this notice for whatever reason he chooses or indeed give no reason. He is allowed to negotiate an increase in rent as the basis of a new tenancy - but to evict you he would have to serve formal notice - during such a period you would not need to pay or agree to an increase rent.

I hope that helps

Please press ACCEPT

thanku
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.