UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I have a 6 month contract through an agent for a 2 bed flat.

Customer Question
I have been without bathroom...
I have a 6 month contract through an agent for a 2 bed flat. I have been without bathroom flooring for the last six months and recently noticed black mould along the side of the bath which has transferred onto my towels. We have also been without a main heater since moving in. Despite contantly chasing both the landlady and the agents i heard nothing until they wanted to do an inspection and i told them i would not let them in untill my issues had been addressed.

Six weeks ago they sent round an electrician who said the heater was unsafe. Again we have heard nothing from the agents. I am 7 months pregnant and concerned about the health of my unborn child because of these issues. I sent a letter of intent to both parties on 29th May. The agents replied on 1st June acknowledging receipt of the letter and saying they are looking into it but the landlady is yet to reply. I have contacted the env health to check mould and safety of heater but i would like to know if the landlady is liable.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Nobody is liable at this stage because no loss has been suffered.

If there are repairs that are in need to attention then you can do them yourself and sue the landlord for the cost. But you cannot merely claim compensation as there is no loss to compensate for.

In addition to that, if you are not going to allow inspections that will be used against you.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Along with the above the landlady was also meant to organise another (restricted) key for the main door which we were haring between two and parking permits. My partner was clamped as a result of not having a permit which the agents told us needed to be ordered by the landlady only. The day we moved in we had no electricity (heating inc) although there was an opened letter on the kitchen side informing the landlady it would be cut off she and the agents denied any knowledge. We've had no main heater since January and throughout the bad snow we had earlier in the year. We have had to buy an electric heater which has increased our bills and new towels because of the mould. Along with the number of telephone calls, time taken to try and resolve these issues and general inconvenience and not to mention stress of the whole thing are we not right to ask them for compensation? In regards XXXXX XXXXX inspection i asked them some 3 wks ago to call me to arrange. I have not received a reply. Surely the landlady has broken the tenancy agreement and letting people live in a property without a main heater is illegal?

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.