How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sirs, I have my semi detached property on the market

This answer was rated:

Dear Sirs,

I have my semi detached property on the market to sell, I am at the stage of having viewings and ultimately an offer.
I have a concern over sound proofing work that was completed last year by myself between myself and the neighbouring property.
The work was done following the arrival of new neighbours who could be heard, but were not a problem, prior to this we had an elderly neighbour who we never heard but unfortunately is no longer with us. My wife and I decided that we would investigate the options available to us to overcome any noises, this was done and resolved our problem.
As I am trying to sell the property do I need to declare that I have had sound proofing work done even though I have not had a problem with my neighbours. I don't want to raise unecessary alarm bells to a problem that does not exist.
Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks XXXXX


Thanks for your question.


Yes, you will have to mention it when you come to complete the Property Information Form because it asks about works. If you do not mention it and there is a problem subsequent to completion then you could get sued by the purchaser.


On viewings you are not under a duty to volunteer the information, but if you are asked directly then you should be honest and answer truthfully.


If the sound-proofing was completed with a guarantee then it will almost certainly not be a problem assuming the guarantee covers successors in title.


If there is no guarantee, then it depends on whether the purchaser considers it a problem. Some would, some wouldn't. In the event that they do then their conveyancing will ask you to pay for an indemnity policy to cover the cost of any remedial works which need completing in the future. Such a policy would probably cost around £100.00 approx.


If this useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you