UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I am currently looking to purchase a rural property, the property…

Customer Question
I am currently looking to...
I am currently looking to purchase a rural property, the property was built in 1901.
The issue i have however is that access to the property is via a gated entrance that is not part of the sale and is owned along with the track that leads to the property by a seperate land owner,in the brochure from the agent they Note: A licence for vehicular access to the rear of the property may be available...
I have since been informed by the agent that this has been withdrawn by the land owner,stating that the landowner will not lease sell or otherwise grant access to this property other than for"removals and then emergency vehicles only".
The issue i have is that the property not only requires extensive imprvements but is also seviced by oil and a septic tank. The property was previously owned by British waterways.

Questions:
Do i have any legal rights?
Can a landowner legally landlock a property?

I look forward to your proffessional oppinions.

Kind regards

Gary Higgins
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: DR Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer
Good evening Gary,

Even if there are no express rights of access in the deeds the vendor may have aquired a right of acess via prescription or there may be an easement of necessity. Easements via prescription are aquired after 20 years consecutive use by the owner and/or predecessors in title. Time using the right pursuant to a license is not taken into account. Easements via necessity will only be implied where the land is landlocked and the access is reasonably necessary for the enjoyment of the land. You may also have rights of acess under the Acess to Neighbouring Land Act 1992.

Your Conveyancer will be able to look at the deeds are provide a more substantive advice and in would ensure that you get this done before comitting to the purchase.

Regards

Dr Lawyer

Just for clarity.

Would Easement via necessity include on the grounds of day to day safety, where access to the property is via an unlit track with no other properties? ie for day to day use?

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.