UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I am a long term tenant in a rented property, whenever another…

Customer Question
I am a long term...
I am a long term tenant in a rented property, whenever another tenant moves out it is my responsibility to return the deposit and any bill money owed as I have a seperate account with a number of direct debits for our bills.
A tenant moved out back at the end of 2008 leaving his push bike in the garage, he failed to return mine or the landlords calls in relation to this so after 6 months I had planned to sell the bike. I was given advice to put something in writing to the tenant to ask him to remove the bike within 7 days. I did this and he came back within that time for his bike. I had been advised by the landlord to withhold his deposit until he collected his bike.This month in 2010 he is now asking for his deposit back as it took him so long to come and get the bike I had actually geniunely forgotten.I have been advised by my landlord to return whatever is left following storage costs which is now nothing as it was 6 months storage cost. the tenant is threatening to sue me, can he?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
How much have you charged in "storage fees"? Diid you advise that storage charges would be applied if he did not collect?

Edited by Joshua on 6/14/2010 at 2:28 PM EST
I phoned the local big yellow stroage company and was adviced they charged £14.25 a week to store a pushbike plus insurance so I have worked it out for 6 months not including insurance giving the reason that the garage wasn't secured as my rabbit has free range and the back door to the garage is propped open for him to have light.
Did you advise that storage charges would be applied if he did not collect?
Not that I can remember as we were trying to get hold of him to ask him to come and collect it as he never asked if he could leave it there for a period of time. I don't think the landlord did either.
If you genuinely attempted to give the tenant notice to collect the item, you are entitled to charge a reasonable storage fee.

I am not sure you will be able to go as high as Big Yellow. They offer a specialised storage facility and for that price you get a locked room of some kind I assume. You were respectfully XXXXX XXXXX that same service, but rather were just storing a single item. By all means try but I think you might come a cropper with the reasonableness test if he were to sue.

Can you tell me if there is a time period since leaving a property that a person can ask for their deposit back and what would be the case with the return of the bill money which would amount to £40 roughly for 2 weeks of the month he wasn't there.

What would be a reasonable storage fee? I have looked through websites and I thought the landlord was entitled to charge storage fees for items that have been left behind.

The old tenant also left his car outside in the layby which is classed as on a road with over a year out of date road tax which I had asked him to sort out and remove which he claimed was going to be moved by a garage but it stayed there until it was ticketed and I assume towed away, is there anything I can do about that? I'm guessing not as it was off the property on the road. The tennancy agreement states the deposit is return on satifactory termination of the tennacy.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.