UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I was in the process of buying a vehicle from an old gentleman…

Customer Question
I was in the process...
I was in the process of buying a vehicle from an old gentleman who had recently moved into a residential home. During the process he passed away and I understand that he leaves no family. His house, which had not been sold, is now boarded up to avoid break ins, though I don't know who did this. The vehicle is still parked in the drive. I am still interested in buying it and don't know how to proceed, who to contact, etc. Your help would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: F E Smith, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
What paperwork do you have?
I don't have any paperwork at the moment just a copy of the letter I wrote to offer to buy the vehicle from the owner.

Good afternoon,

You will need to contact the executor in the will of the gentleman who passed away. To do so you would need to pass a letter into the property or alternatively find a solicitor who is dealing with the estate.You could still then proceed with your transaction via the executor who would have the legal authority to agree the sale with you. You may need to do additional research to make contact with the executors or administrators if there is no will.

Best wishes.

F E

Thank you. May I ask if you know how I would begin to find out about executors or administrators of the estate?

Good afternoon,

You should make local enquiries to the neighbours of the property who may be able to provide you with useful addresses and also contact his care home where he lived as I am sure they would be happy to assist you and point you in the right direction for a next of kin and may even know of a solicitor who was involved acting for the gentleman concerned, you could even put an advertisement in the local paper. If there is a will and probate has been applied for then you could contact the probate register nearest to your area and this would apply even if there was no will as letters of administration would have to be applied for through the probate registry, however it is unlikely that matters will have got this far yet if he has only recently passed away. Good luck.

Best wishes.

F E

F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Many thanks for your assistance
You are welcome.