UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

my wife is in home now and i want to sell the house but the…

Customer Question
my wife is in home...
my wife is in home now and i want to sell the house but the council say that they want half the money she has dementia becuase her name his on the deeds is there any way to take the wifes name off the deeds thankyou.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/13/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Do the local authority want money in respect of care fees? Do you still live at the property?
yes i still live at the property but at the moment the local authority are funding the cost of my wife being in the home but if i sell they say they want half the money becuase my wifes name is XXXXX XXXXX the deeds. My wife is paying towords the cost of the home out of her state pension and pension credit.
At present the home will be disregarded for means testing because you are living there. This position may change if you sell the property and the local authority may be able to call on half the proceeds if that is your wife's share of the property.

There are some options available to you. You should seek the advice of a care fees professional IFA who will be able to review your respective assets and draw up proposals for your consideration.

I would recommend you start by visiting http://www.symponia.co.uk/ which is an umbrella organisation which unites care home fee professionals and allows you find a local IFA. Many IFAs offer a free initial interview so you should have little to lose.
whats ifa stand for.
Sorry - Independent Financial Advisor.
i have heard that many rumours that my wifes name can be took off the deeds if that is correct could you fiind out one way your the other yes your no.thankyou.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.