How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I rented a room in a property in which the landlady was

This answer was rated:

Hi, I rented a room in a property in which the landlady was a 'live-in' landlord. I left before my contract ended, though I did not actually sign the contract. The landlady is insisting I pay rent up to the end of my contract, but I can't afford it. Can she actually do anything legally? Thank you, Sarah.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, she can. She can sue you via for the rent you owe under the contract. I'm afraid that it does not matter that you did not actually sign the contract, by occupying the property you have impliedly contracted with her.There may be onerous terms in the contract which she would have difficulty enforcing, but rent is not one of them.


Your best way forward (if you think she'll actually issue a claim if you don't pay) is to acknowledge the debt but say that your a bit short at the moment and offer her a repayment plan by paying what you can not with more to follow incrementally later.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded or my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you