UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Hi , a friend of mine owns the lease to a shop and he is sub-letting…

Customer Question
Hi , a friend of...
Hi , a friend of mine owns the lease to a shop and he is sub-letting the flat above the shop to me and my girlfriend without informing the landlord. It was recently discovered that the flat needed to be re-wired so to save money the friend who I am renting the property off decided to try to rewire the property himself. This process has taken two weeks and we are still without proper electricity and cannot switch the kitchen lights off due to them being wired into the ring main !! We considered with holding rent but decided not to as we did not want to cause trouble.

The shop and the flat have the same electric meter so obviously we have to share the bill. It was mentioned before we even had the keys to the building that we would pay 70% of the bill and the shop would pay only 30%.Once the shop was opened it was obvious this was not a fair split but when I asked my friend he told me to move out if I dont like it.As we have no contract or tennancy agrement where does the law on this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/12/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Rewiring personally is a breach of building regulations. Your friend could be criminally liable if the electrics are not safe. Not a good idea.

Do you have a formal tenancy agreement or is it just a verbal agreement?
Just a verbal agreement. We have handed them a letter expaining that we will move out within a month.I just want to know how it all stands just incase they start trying to kick us out sooner.Obviously if they start playing nasty then we have more then enough ammunition to get the building condemed , they did not supply smoke alarms and laughed at us when we asked for them , no fire doors and only one fire exit (the building has three floors).
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.