How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7611
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have moved into a house which Im renting. The house is four

This answer was rated:

I have moved into a house which I'm renting. The house is four bedroom and has two bathrooms and a den. Since moving in two weeks ago, we have had no working toilet in one bathroom and no shower in the other. The den, which was to be the children's playroom, has no power. The two bathrooms and the den were a big selling point when we rented the house, but the agent has told us they'll be fixed whenever and (I quote) - you have one bathroom and the children can play in one of the other rooms. Where do we stand in this? Can they take this stance?

Hi Adrian,


Does the den have wiring for power but it just does not work?





Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. It trips the whole house when used.

Hi Adrian,


You have a right to a property in repair. The issues you have outlined are clearly repair issues and you can compel the landlord to fulfill his obligations under your tenancy agreement.

You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use. If you withhold rent to pay the repair you could inadvertently entitled the landlord to evict you.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions