How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we took out tenancy on bungalow in october when we viewed everything

Resolved Question:

we took out tenancy on bungalow in october when we viewed everything looked nice in november we were struggling with the metal windows loads of condensation and damp puddles of water on cills and mould forming all around landlord came around and decided to drill holes in window frames for water to drain situation of course did not improve but was worse because now cold coming in all the holes we know how cold this winter was so it was misserable we both felt cold my husband has a heart condition and had had pneumonia in 09 so i was concerned we did keep contacting landlord about it they came this week after months and have said they carnt do anything about it even though they have made holes and windows are mouldy and wet could you tell us our rights on this
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You have a right to a property in repair. If the property is in disrepair you can enforce this right against the landlord.

You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary. Keep copies of your correspondence on the issue and mention your health conditions in the letter.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use


If the disrepair cause damp then you should contact the local authority environmental health department and ask them to send an officer round. If the state of the property is bad he will issue an enforcement notice against the Landlord to carry out works and this may prompt him in to making the repair. If he finds it unfit for human habitation then he will declare it as such and you will be able to terminate your agreement with the landlord on the basis of this breach.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you