How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you familiar with selling a house in Liverpool England

Resolved Question:

Are you familiar with selling a house in Liverpool England? Does the owner have to be present in order to do this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question. Could you provide a bit more information please.


At what stage of the transaction do you mean "have to be present"; when they make an offer, when they exchange contracts, upon completion?


Kind regards,



Edited by Thomas on 5/4/2010 at 7:54 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
At any time during the process. Can an attorney be an agent for a client in the sale of a house in the Liverpool England?
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


Are you based in the US?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in the US? However I am not asking this question for me.
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



It's common practice the solicitor acting in the conveyance to meet with the client in order to verify their identity to comply with money laundering regulations (ie. taking photographic evidence of their passport etc. proof of address). After tha,t their face to face contact with the client can be very minimal. There is no formal requirement for the client to be present upon exchange of contracts or completion of the purchase.

Were you out of the the country and wishing to purchase a property you would have to verify your identity by going to see a notary, and then possibly appointing someone (would could be your solicitor) to act as your attorney if signing the appropriate documents is a practical difficulty.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefullly received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Edited by Thomas on 5/4/2010 at 9:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not sure I am understanding your response.

The person who needs to sale their house is not in the United Kingdom but is a British citizen. The house they need to sale is in the United Kingdom. Is there away this can be done without him being in the United Kingdom?

Thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Yes, it is not particularly difficult to do this.


Just get the person to speak with a UK solicitor who deals in conveyancing. They will be able to arrange the sale without them being in the UK, they will just require him to go and see a notary or equivalent (depending on the country he is in when the sale goes through) in order to verify his identity.


It really is not a problem. You can find UK solicitors through the Law Society's search engine, enter the postcode of the property he is selling and select "conveyancing residential" from the drop down menu:-


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you