How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been waiting for 6 months for our second bathroom to

Resolved Question:

I have been waiting for 6 months for our second bathroom to be fixed and cannot use it. 5 of us are now using the ensuite which is not convenient. What compensation can i claim due to the fact that i pay ?1900 per month for a 4 bed 2 bathroomed house and am not getting what i pay for?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Have you incurred economic loss as a result of the lack of a main bathroon in repair?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not economic but I have 3 sons 20, 17 and 14 who are now having to use one bathroom and it causes havoc in the mornings as there is never enough hot water or time
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



If you have not suffered economic loss then it's going to be very difficult to gain compensation from your landlord.


You have a right to a property in repair and this, obviously, includes a working bathroom.


You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 7 or 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.


Make sure you keep copies of the letters and other correspodence on the issue and copy in the agents if you have any

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time. If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:


It's pretty cheap and straightforward to use.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 4 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions