How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7613
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I have to do to sign the deeds of my house over to

Resolved Question:

What do I have to do to sign the deeds of my house over to my son
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If your property is registered then you will need to complete a TR1 making sure that both your and your son sign it as a deed (ie. properly witnessed) before sending it with Form AP1 to the Land Registry office responsible for registered titles in your area (you can call them to find out which). They will approve the application, register the transfer and then send you evidence of the registration of your son as the new registered proprietor of the freehold title.


Both the AP1 and TR1 form are freely available for download from the Land Registry's website and their customer service support line are very good at providing advice to laypersons making their own applications. You can call them on 0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN:-


If your property is not registered then you will have to deduce the title to your property by sending them the actual deeds. This is a bit more complicated and I would either get a local conveyancer to do it for your, or at least check the application before you send it.

If you do not know whether your property's legal title is registered or unregistered then let me know and I will tell you how you can check.


Obviously, if you property is mortgaged then you will not be able to transfer the ownership to your son without having first redeemed the mortgage.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you