How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7610
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have verbally agreed to continue my rent and now ive decided

This answer was rated:

i have verbally agreed to continue my rent and now ive decided to leave i havnt signed anything can i leave



Thank you for your question.


If you had a tenancy agreement that has now expired then you will be occupying the property on a statutory periodic tenancy. If you pay your rent on a monthly basis then you must serve your notice to terminate on the landlord giving one months notice with the notice to expire on a rent day (ie. the day when you pay your rent).


If this has been usefull please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have phoned my letting agent and they say if i have verbally agreed then i have to stay is this right, or can i definatly just give my months notice






It depends on what you have agreed with the Lanlord/Agent.


If you have agreed to a new fixed term following on from your previous tenancy then you will be bound by the same terms as to termination.


If you did not agree to a new fixed term and instead just continued to pay rent (or agreed that you would continue to pay rent but with no mention of a new fixed term) then you will be able to serve in writing the notice referred to in my original answer.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did verbly agree, they sent the contract out but we wernt happy with it so it was never signed it. Now we want to leave they said they would phone us to agree another contract but they never did we now have been living here with no contract for 1 month now. Is there definatly no way of moving house?





If you did not sign the contract for a new fixed term you should tell them that you occupy the property in the way mentioned in my original post because the contract has not been executed. Tell them that you will serve the notice (in writing) referred to in my original post and will vacate when the notice period has expired.


Please kindly click accept.



Related UK Property Law Questions