Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My solicitor registered my property with the land registry

My solicitor registered my property with the land registry and returned all the papers that he was storing but when I asked him where my deeds were he said that there were no deeds anymore now that he had regestered it with the land registery for me. Is this correct as I always thought I needed to keep my Deeds.

Hello Polno442917,

The old unregistered system of legal title to property (ie. by deeds) has been replaced by registered titles registered at the Land Registry. When any house is bought and sold now the title is registered at the Land Registry, if the property is unregistered the old deeds we be sent to the Land Registry to prove legal title. They are then "dematerialised" by the Land Registry (they take copies and then destroy the deeds).

The relevant details of the old deeds are noted against the registered title.

When any solicitor requires deduction of the legal title to a property all he need do in the case of registered property is to obtain official copies from the Land Registry.

Nothing to worry about.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom