How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am living in a private rented flat, we are having problems

Resolved Question:

i am living in a private rented flat, we are having problems with damp in my kids room but it has not been dealt with as yet, also we have not had anything to say that the gas heating or fire has been serviced as far as i know its not been done for 5 years, we havin problems tryin to get out of here as we are still in contract what can i do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for your email.


Check your tenancy agreement for the clause relating to repair. It will likely say that the Landlord will keep the property in repair (eg. free from damp, poor boiler function). If so, you should write to the landlord requesting for that he make specific repairs within a reasonable time (usually 14 days), also state that if he does not complete the works within this time then you will pay to have them done yourself and that you will seek to claim the expense from him (and are prepared to make an application to Court if necessary).


If he does not make the repair and you pay to have the works done yourself then you can make a claim yourself through


If the damp is very bad then you should consider informing the environmental health department at your local authority. They will send an officer round and if he finds the property unfit for human habitation he will serve an enforcement notice upon you landlord. If it is declared unfit you can simply terminate your tenancy.


Otherwise, you are bound by the termination provisions of your contract.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions