How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our Patio door is broken, a interior door is missing, The lendlord

Resolved Question:

Our Patio door is broken, a interior door is missing, The lendlord says as when he can afford it he will get round to it, how long should I wait?
Submitted: 7 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Check your tenancy agreement for any specific wording as to repair. However, the Landlord is under a general duty to keep the property in a good state of repair and maintenance. If it is in disrepair (ie. the interior door) you should request in a letter to the Landlord that he make the repair works within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days after the date of the letter) and keep a copy.

State in the letter that if he does not complete the repair you will pay for the works yourself and seek to claim the expense from him.


If he does not carry out the works you can pay for them to be done yourself and then claim the money from him by issuing a claim through


Do not withhold any rent from your landlord because of this issue - you would be in breach of contract.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regard,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you