How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I let a house and the tenants have been living in the

Resolved Question:


I let a house and the tenants have been living in the property for 4 years. The tenants have gradually been delaying paying their rent for the last year sometimes up to 3 weeks but never more than a month. This month they are late again and seem to have gone missing, both their cars at still parked outside and the house is in darkness. I live 3 doors down so can easily see that they are not coming and going and that this has been the case for about 4 weeks. My question is, if they have infact vacated the property leaving behind their possessions how long do I have to wait before inspecting the property and how would I go about retaking possesion?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer/p>


Your rights to inspect the property are a separate issue to the delay in rental payments and you should check the tenancy agreement in this regard.


Under the Housing Act 1988 Section 8 Ground 11 a Landlord is entitled to take possession of the property if the Tenant has persistently delayed paying rent when it has become lawfully due. You should serve upon the Tenant a Notice to terminate giving two weeks' notice. You should serve the notice in the required form and you can download the prescribed form online from


Once the notice period has expired you will be entitled to tale possession of the property.


If you find this useful please kindly click accept so that I may rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow-up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you