How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my boiler broke and wasnt fixed properly, a week later it broke

Resolved Question:

my boiler broke and wasnt fixed properly, a week later it broke again and i was without heating or hot water for a week over christmas, my landlord is saying im not entitled to a weeks rent back, is this true?
Submitted: 7 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



The bad news is that unless there is a specific clause in your tenancy agreement allowing you to claim money on account of rent from your landlord then you will not be able to make a claim. You should check your tenancy agreement but I would be very surprised if such a right is granted to you.


Usually, disrepair does not entitle you to withhold rent from your landlord or claim money on account of rent from him.


In the future, if another items falls in to disrepair and your landlord does not repair it within a reasonable time following your request then you can pay for the works to be completed yourself and then reclaim the money from him by writing to him and sending the invoice. In the event that he refuses to pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself online through



I hope this helps, please kindy click accept.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you