How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle 73 Your Own Question
legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 466
Experience:  10 year qualified solicitor; LLB; member of STEP and Probate Section
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
legal eagle 73 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If your solicitor makes a mistake with their conveyancing completion

Resolved Question:

If your solicitor makes a mistake with their conveyancing completion statement and then once all land registery applications have been completed they come back and say they didn't receive the amount they were expecting to receive from the mortgage advance, can they then ask you to pay the outstanding balance? Or do they have accept their mistake? Or can they take you to Couonty Court to collect the payment
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 8 years ago.
hi there

how much is the shortfall?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 8 years ago.
you are liable for the payment.

However, you can offer to pay it in small instalments since it arose because of their mistake.

You should also raise a formal complaint with that firm and ask for compensation on the basis that you are now in financial difficulty after buying a new house and had relied on their statement to say the account was clear. You can then ask them to reduce their bill retrospectively to take into account the poor service you rec'd and offset it against the amount owing to them

if they do not resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can then pursue a complaint via the law society and they can order the firm to refund you the whole of the £745 or part of it

please click on the green accept button so that i can be credited for the advice i have given you
legal eagle 73 and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you so very much that was fantastic advice I will now press the accept button in order for you to be credited.

Hopefully it will give me the opportunity to press accept after this reply.

thank you.