How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 9605
Experience:  30 years General Practice. All aspects of Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have a question on UK property law. I and my wife signed

Resolved Question:


I have a question on UK property law. I and my wife signed a tenancy agreement with our landlord. My wife's mother lives with us as she is dependent on her. My wife's mother's name is XXXXX XXXXX as a tenant in the agreement. The landlord served as a notice stating the fact of not declaring my wife's mother as a tenant as a breach of contract.

The contract makes references to visitors and family members. However, it does not specify the lenght of the stay of the visitor or family member.

Please advise whether the above, not declaring a family member as a tenant, constitutes a breach.

thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 years ago.

Hello Armen


Your Mother-in-Law is not a Tenant, but a lodger and as such she has no security of tenure.


I take the view that, in those circumstances, you are not in breach of your tenancy agreement as she is not 'a tenant'.





Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello F E

Is there any legal definition of lodger, in respective legislative acts, as I need to reply to the landlord's letter?

thank you
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 years ago.

A lodger (also known as a licencee) is one who has exclusive occupation of his or her own room but who shares all other (including bathroom and kitchen) facilities with the owners or tenants of the property.





F E Smith and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you