UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I have a glow worm 30hxi boiler. My initial problem was an…

Customer Question
Hi I have a glow worm...
Hi
I have a glow worm 30hxi boiler.
My initial problem was an error code F13. This could happen at random times, sometimes within seconds of the boiler starting, but sometimes only after a few hours. I decide a new PCB would be the way forward. I purchased a refurbished one from a reputable seller on eBay.
I have just managed to get round to fitting the new (refurbed one). The installation went well and I fired up the boiler first time. Very pleased! However, after 2-3 minutes, there was a click of a relay switch and the boiler display went off and the boiler stopped firing. After 3 minutes like this, it sprung back to life and fired again. Again, after 2-3 minutes it happened again. It happens each time the maximum temperature (set by the dial) is reached/exceeded.
Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Are there any settings that were made on the original PCB which I need to apply to the one?
One other things which happened today too. With the hot water and central heating controls switched off, the boiler started to fire on its own.  I haven’t yet worked out if this is a one-off so I’m discounting this as a problem for now. Unless of course you think these two problems may be linked?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Plumbing
3/12/2018
Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
I don't know why it's reaching maximum temperature so fast?
Do you have heating and hot water on?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good question. To be honest I can’t remember. As far as I can tell it’s been working ok this evening. I’ve turned everything off for the night and will see what tomorrow morning brings when CH and HW timers come on.
Ok.
Let's see.
Just reply in the morning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was unable to check this morning, but from bed I could hear the boiler firing up, switching off (not just stop firing) multiple times.I’ve left everything switched off all day until now. Here’s the series of eventsTemperature display shows 20c
Switched CH (only) on
After 1 minute, boiler switched off (as above, totally switched off, not just stopped firing). Max temp reached 37c
2 minutes later, switched back on and fired up
After 1 minute, switched off again . Max reached 40c
1 minute later, switched off again. Max reached 53c
2 minutes later, switched on and fired up
2 minutes switched off again, max temp 54
2 minutes switched off again , max temp 61
2 minutes switched off again, max temp 63I will let everything cool down and try this again with HW onlyDoes the replacement refurbished PCB need calibrating??? Nothing in the entire CH/HW system has been changed, except for the refurbished PCB.
Are you getting a clicking noise in the airing cupboard?
It may be a motorised valve fault?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sadly not Andrew. I’ve just turned everything on again. When the boiler fires up, the pump in the airing cupboard starts. When the boiler shuts down, the pump stops. I’m going to try to upload a video of the boiler starting/stopping.
Ok, the pump should not stop unless the heating or hot water turns off - perhaps this is not a boiker fault, more like a control
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The controller actually remains on when the boiler switches off. With the previous PCB (the one which gave error code F13), when the error code appeared, the controller and the pump switched off.Could it be that the issue which caused F13 is still present, but the refurbed PCB is interpreting it differently?
The display on the boiler or the programmer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The display on the boiler goes off. There’s a click in the boiler then it shuts down, the pump also shuts down at that point. Display on the controller stays on, as does the red light indicating CH or HW is on. After 2 minutes, the boiler springs back to life, the display comes back on and the pump starts.Did my video upload?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Videos didn't upload. I've uploaded them to here....https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5o5pnmyq3vjgy9j/AAB3VSkROAZ7WyF4ERLJdlQ9a?dl=0
Is the airing cupboard clicking during this time?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, no clicking from the airing cupboard. I either hear the pump operating, or nothing once the boiler has shut down.I've just tried with HW only and the same symptoms exist.
They should both be controlled by the 3 port valve in the airing cupboard
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure, I just wanted to try HW only.Did you see my videos?
Sorry they wouldn't open.
Can you give the 3 port a click and endure the valve has shut fully?
flick
*ensure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Videos should be here...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5o5pnmyq3vjgy9j/AAB3VSkROAZ7WyF4ERLJdlQ9a?dl=0Valves seem to be opening correctly. When the boiler is firing, heat is getting brought to the radiators. It’s just taking a lot longer for them to heat up due to the boiler start/stop process every couple of minutes.As for 3 port valves, I have a series of 2 port valves I believe. I’m no plumbing expert but know the basics. I’ll upload a pic of the airing cupboard.
Ok
Zone valves.
Each valve heats a zone.
Each one can turn on the boiler.
Why don't you try a zone at a time and see if it works any Better?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve just switched off the upstairs zone via its controller and the same problem occurs.Questions.
1. Are you thinking it’s a flow issue which is causing the boiler to lock out?
2. The manual bypass valve - how open/shut should this be?
3. Gate valve - how open/shut should this be?Bearing in mind, the system has been working perfectly (in my eyes) did the last 3 years since I’ve lived here. House and boiler are 11 years old approx. It’s only last week I replaced the PCB.
It think it is a flow issue.
Can you open the bypass fully (count how many turns to open to reset) and see if it stays on?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With the bypass fully open, the same problem exists. I have contacted the seller of the refurbed PCB and he's going to send a replacement which I will fit in the next few days...
Ok, it is fitted to prevent pumo wear if the valves are faulty and they are all closed, so it should only be open 2 full turns.
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer