UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I have a Baxi WM/70/4PF boiler,, the preasurre switch is…

I have a Baxi...

I have a Baxi WM/70/4PF boiler,, the preasurre switch is fillin u pwith water from the vacuum pipess

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Ohh about 2 years now, very day you have to emty the switch of the moisture to letthe switch trip to fire up the boiler

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Somtimes it ok for a few days,

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My plumber has looked at it ,, even talkedto Baxi, ,, we replaced the sealrs on the flu im know the boiler near inside out these days its condenstasion build up .

ok I'll retype that,,I have a Baxi WM/70/4PF boiler. flu is directly out the back not sides.
The pressure switch keeps filling up with water/moisture from the pipes, the plus and minus pressure pipes from the APS, Red and Black pipes.
We have tested the gas flow. all normal.
replaced the seals on the flu the o rings on the side entry of the manifold as Baxi said its this,, its not !
It can go for days without issues, then some days i have to drain the switch every day,
about a good thimble full of water drains out,I have a new APS ready to fit once it fixed, ***********
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
It is when it has been raining normally, the water builds up slowly in the fan and then overflows down the APS tubes.
No. the flu is not fitted at the wrong angle
I didn't say that.
It could be perfect but you get driving rain in that particular direction.
The only way I have managed to cure this in the past is to replace the APS hoses with longer silicone hoses and loop them up before heading diwn to to the APS.
weather rain or sunshsine the same result :(
I have fitted new tubes and they are a bit longer, can call me on the number in the thread.
Sorry, not from where I am.
Must be condensation?
Is your cast iron block leaking so it is always damp?
no all water tight, drives us nuts as only a thimble full or so but enough to stop the switch.
wattsapp ??

Are you able to use longer hoses to loop up and over, the excess water sitting in the fan and will evaporate once it starts up?

I do have longer pipes but space is tight, but what happens when the water is sat in the u bend of the pipe ? will this not affect the pressure ?
what is the cause of the moisture that's filling up the APS?

Loop so that the water drains back into the fan.

It could be condensation if it is no better when it is not raining.

The pipes are at the bottom of the boiler to the right hand side, they connect to the 2 small pipes, these run in the void in the back of the boiler,
one is shorter and located in the void the other runs to the air box to the flue, so I cant loop it to drain anywhere. ill send piccs later,
I know this model - can you not do it at the top where the pipes change back to hoses?
I'll whip the top cover of the air box and check,, but I'm sure its metal pipe all the way to the connection on the air box to the tube. have attached a diagram to hopefully show you what has been done and highlighted any other factors,
Ok sorry, older than the model I was thinking of
Will check the re-seal the air box seals tomorrow. Monday. and update the post once done.
No problem. If it can't physically pick up water that's sat in the fan then it must be from the damp air against the cold cast iron
HI,,
OK .. serviced the boiler, and as soon as we took the front panel of we could see that the left cheek insulation card was not sat in place correctly, it was halfway out and sitting across the burner,This will explain ( hopefully) why the condensation was building up.
Condensation occurs when the outer is hot/warmer than the inner and you get the heat exchange like on windows.New overheat stat fitted pgas pressurs correct, leaving boiler on all day, and check later if any water builds up in the APS. fingers crosseed.
Well found.
Let's just keep an eye on it.
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer