UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

My boiler keeps shutting down (frozen outside condensate…

HI. my boiler...

HI. my boiler keeps shutting down (frozen outside condensate pipes). I had someone out yesterday to sort this out but it refroze overnight again. I've thawed the pipes outside using warm water. However boiler still wouldn't restart. I just noticed a drop of water on the drainage trap under the boiler, which the guy yesterday emptied. I popped it open, water spilled out, and so i replaced the cap. Now boiler starts fine. I'm just wondering if I've done anything wrong by emptying what was there - and am i now OK to run the boiler with that empty?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

First issue was yesterday. It was all sorted but refroze overnight. Guy told me I might need to thaw out the pipes this morning which I did.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I thawed out the pipes myself. Wasn't planning on touching the boiler and didn't mean to pop the drainage cap. But now its back on the boiler is working

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really. I'm just wondering if the boiler is OK to use

3/1/2018
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
There may be some scum that's been distrurbed and now blocking the outlet.
There's no harm taking it off and cleaning It, just do it with the boiler off as flue gases can come out of that point
Thanks Andrew. Boiler was definitely off!There wasn't any sludge / scum in the I took the cap off (just water, about a cup full). However with the discharge cap back on the boiler now starts fine.i'm only concerned because I just read online (after doing this) that you need to 'refill the condensate trap' to use the boiler safely. Does it refill automatically while operating, or do i physically need to add water to the trap?It's a worcester Greenstar 28i Junior
The boiler may start with 2 horizontal T symbols as it refill the condense trap itself if it needs to.
It should be fine.
Thanks Andrew. I've turned the boiler back on and it seems to be working fine, good to know it will top up the condense trap itself if necessary. Thanks for the reassurance and the help on this
No problem.
Come back if you need me again.
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer