UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I am having problems with my Main combi 24 HE BOILER the…

Customer Question
Hi i am having...

Hi i am having problems with my Main combi 24 HE BOILER the flame failure indicator is on when I do the reset it fires up for 5 seconds then goes off. Also nothing when run water. The pressure was low put that back up to just below 2 but I’ve noticed the clear tank on the right hand side is full to the top with water.. is this normal.?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It was ok last night noticed it today when the radiators went cold.. means I have no heating or hot water

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not really just followed the instructions in the manual

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Should the clear tank be full of water?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Plumbing
12/12/2017
Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Your condense pipe is frozen.
If you can follow it outside you may be able to thaw it out with a kettle full of hot water
I've just done that with 2 kettles it's fireing up but only for a few seconds and the red flame failure light keeps coming back on
Ok, can you upload a picture of the external condense pipework.
Usually what happens is the ice plug melts slightly and tben gets stuck in a bend or next fitting
Great pictures.
It will be in the bottom of the vertical bend.
Try more hot water or see if you can pull it apart to let the ice out.
There seems to be no ice in the pipe.. the boiler fires up but only for a few seconds the the flame failure light comes back on
The trap needs to empty.
Do you have a tub to catch some water?
Put it underneath and remove the yellow cap on the bottom.
The water will come out the the boiler will fire.
Perhaps the first elbow out the wall is still frozen?