UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

My combi boiler is working fine apart from the taps in

Customer Question
Hello my combi boiler...

Hello my combi boiler is working fine apart from the taps in bathroom which are furthest away practically have to trickle water or runs cold after a minute or two did work fine before ?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

For about 4 months gave up and boiled saucepans today just wanted a hot and not lukewarm bath

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Was having to repressure boiler constantly but had that fixed had new red tank fitted inside

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Plumbing
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/8/2017
Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Do you have the make and model?
Potterton heatmax combi 24he the water runs hot then cold we turn tap to a trickle and its better but still hot and cold the heating seams fine
Does it only do this when the heating is on?
Can you tell me what the boiler does during this time?
Does it with heating on or off boiler cuts off then restarts hence water temo hot then cold
Ok, it sounds like the hot water plate heat exchanger is scaled up.
This means the boiler is trying to heat the water but cannot pass the heat into the water as it passes through, the return temperature comes back hot and the boiler shuts off.
The boiler then cools and starts again.
You should ring a couple of local engineers and get a fixed price for a descale.