UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I have an ideal ff340, which was working fine till I went on…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I have...

Hi Pearl. I have an ideal ff340, which was working fine till I went on holiday.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

My mate was over and on the timer panel he switched on only the heating and not the hot water and left it on over night

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

7 days, the time I was away. I have no heating at all

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its simple enough to get it going again or else I dont mid calling out an engineer

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I switched off all the rads to check if that would help to first heat the circulating water

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Plumbing
11/17/2017
Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Do you have a cylinder?
Nope. It's a closed direct system. I bled the pump and the water pressure seems very low. The fan in the boiler is not spinning and hence the gas does not light. Would the pressure / pump cause the fan to not spin?
Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Can you confirm the system pressure?
There is no pressure gauge anywhere. Its a very old direct system. The boiler is new and works well when the fan actually spins. Would replacing the pump help? or the fan should needs replacing as well?
if its do with the pressure is there anyway I can increase the pressure? as when I bled the pump it does rotate and there are no blockages/debris in it albeit even at speed 3 it seems slow. Thank you so much for your help
Is there a tank in the loft (small one)?
You said closed system? Do you mean sealed?
sealed gravity system. there is a tank.. in fact there are 3 of them but they all seem like they are used for the hot water. One of them might be feeding water into all the other tanks
If it is sealed and no tank then there will a gauge, fill point and expansion vessel?