UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I have just moved into a new property and the water

Customer Question
Hi Brian, I have just moved...
Hi Brian,
I have just moved into a new property and the water temperature isn't getting hot it just stays at a tepid temperature.
its a Vaillant Gmbh ecoTEC plus 637 R1 connected to a mega flow system.
any ideas?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Plumbing
8/15/2017
Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago
James Inch

Good evening, Brian is offline and the question has been past to me to answer for you

Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

With the system you have described the two most common causes of tepid water is either the temp set on the boiler is not sufficient or the timer for how long the boiler should heat the Mega Flow for is not sufficient based on the demand.

Start by checking the timer for the hot water, how long is it set to run for?

Hi James, this does make sense actually as previously there were 2 adults and a 10 year old living in the property and now there are 4 Adults living here using the shower every morning. It would make sense that timer isn't heating the water flow for long enough to satisfy the demand. How would I go about increasing that? Best, Andy
Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi Andy, it depends on the type of timer in place.

Most installs would have the timer located next to the Mega Flow, locate the timer and tell me the make and model and I can talk you through checking the current settings and increasing the time the water is heated for.

Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Yes that device is the timer, it is dual purpose control your central heating and hot water.

Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

To view the timer setting for hot water, move the slider on the right hand side up to the setting marked 'Hot Water'

Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Looking at the slider going from left to right, Hot Water is set to continuous so being heated all the time regardless of the program, have you recently moved it to this setting or was it like this when you were experiencing tepid water?

It has been like this and still runs tepid
Few more pics of this helps
Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Ok now we have established the boiler is running all the time to heat the hot water, the issue is likely to be one of three issues.

1. The diverter valve which lets the boiler water flow around the mega flow has started to fail\not fully opening

2. The high limit stat on the mega flow is telling the boiler the temp is too high and does not require heat

3. The boiler is not heating the water to a sufficient temp.

In image 0910 it shows a pipe on the left hand side going into the bottom of the mega flow then going virtually up for about a foot then going into the reset of the heating circuit, there is a valve actuator connected to the pipe going into the mega flow (about 6 x 3 inches in size), on that there should be a small metal leaver, its sprung so you will need to apply pressure, you want to move that leaver and lock it in the far position (normally there is a lug the switch clip into to keep it in place), this will open the valve. Run the hot water tap for 5 minutes check the temp, then leave it for 30 min, and run the hot water tap again and see if the water is getting hotter.

Let me know how you get on.

when will i need to shut the metal leaver ? after half hour or after 5 minutes? or just leave it ?
Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Shut the leaver off after you have checked the water a second time (give it a good half hour or more). However do not leave the leaver in the locked position for more than a hour and a half.

I can't locate the pipe or the valve
Not exactly sure which one it is from your description
Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Its none of those, ill send you a pic showing you what your looking for.

No valves on that part that I can see
Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

Its hard to tell from the picture but that large box circled is a valve actuator which a valve under it, there should be a leaver on the metal box.

Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 11 months ago

It should look like the valve here.

Plumber: James Inch,
 replied 10 months ago

Do you need any further assistance