Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, Plumber
Experience:  Lead engineer at eoxtongasservice
98667351

We have a britony combi se which is about 10 years old and

Hi. We have a britony combi se which is about 10 years old and recently it keeps losing water pressure so i have to keep topping it up, could it be the pressure relief valve thats faulty ?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: it was occasionally but the last week it has been nearly every day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on how technical it is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats it thx
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been working on the plumbing and heating industry for over 18 years. I am confident that I can help you with this issue.There are a number of things that can cause a boiler to have pressure issues. I will list these below so that you are aware of them and how you can check them. But just so you know at the beginning, it may be best for you to get a gas fitter to resolve the issue not only for legal reasons as only gas registered engineers should work on boilers. But also for your peace of mind as he will be able to eliminate all the issues below. (Some of the below mentioned you risk damaging your boiler or flooding if not done properly.)1. Pressure relief valve: As you mentioned this could be at fault. Any easy way to check this is to look at the discharge point. Is there a steady drip of water coming out? If this is not visible you may have to remove a section of the discharge pipe which can be a tricky job.2. Expansion vessel: The expansion vessel is built into the boiler. This vessel is designed to obsorb the expansion inside the boiler when the water heats up. It is made up of one half water and one half air. If the air side looses the air then this will result in the pressure valve releasing water and thus you having pressure issues. This vessel can be hard to check and change. But you see this needs to be checked. You may see the pressure valve is leaking and change it only to need it changing in a couple of months because the real reason is the expansion vessel.3. Leaks elsewhere: there may be leaks inside the boiler or on your system that you have not spotted yet. Sometime pipe leaks do not show up for weeks or months because they are leaking into the floor or a wall. The only sign is damp building up. The only way to check this is visual inspection. Or isolate the boiler and leave it off for a day and see if the water pressure stays the same. If it does it means your boiler is OK and you have a leak on the system.As you see some of these options can be tricky to do and would be best done by a gas fitter as it can save some additional problems in these future. I would be happy to answer any additional questions that my answer bring's up.Please can you also take the time to rate me above. This is the only way I can improve and receive compensation for my time. You can continue to contact me after leaving the review.I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Warm regards
Elliott