Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, Plumber
Experience:  Lead engineer at eoxtongasservice
98667351

Combi bolier pressure too high, I've bled the radiators

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Combi bolier pressure too high
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I've bled the radiators which reduces it, but creeps back up fairly quickly
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends if it's it's striaghtforward
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Elliott Oxton replied 3 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** I have been working in the plumbing and heating industry for over 18 years. I am sure I can help you come up with a solution to your problem.
The fact that the pressure on your heating is going up seems to suggest a problem with your filling loop.
So that I can identify the exact problem though and help you fix it, please could you tell me the following:
1. What is rhe boiler make and model.
2. Do you know where the filling loop is?I will send you and detailed explanation of what the problem is ands how to fix it after you send me this information.
I look forward to helping you out and resolve this quickly.
Warm regards,
Elliott
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Elliott it's a Vaillant EcoPro 24. The is a tap underneath the boiler that I was shown to use if it ever needed filling. Is that the filling loop?

Hi yes that is correct. I have made some step by step instructions available for you on the attached image. This will help you to figure out if this is the issue.

1. Make sure the valve that is on the underside is closed. (This valve may look closed but may not be shutting properly thus letting water pass)

2. If you disconnect the hose then you will see if water is passing out of the valve. Make sure that both the little plastic handled shut off valve is closed and the brass fitting that is on the over end of the hose is closed.

The rest of the instructions are on the attached picture.

If you find that this is the problem i have also attached a link to where you can buy the spare parts:

This work i would describe as medium to hard to do. Problems can arise with boilers which have been installed for a few years and you may find other parts need replacing such as washers or specialist tools to access the parts. These are parts and tools a professional would normally have on him and so what may take him an hour to do may take you a day. For this reason you may wish to get someone in to repair this. But following the above you can be sure to identify the problem yourself which will save you a lot of consultancy costs.

I am happy to talk you through any other questions you may have with this issue. Please let me know what you find and if anything else comes up.

I have also opened up an option for you to rate my answers. Please can you tick one of the stars that you think are appropriate for my answers. I really appreciate you taking a few moments just to click on the rating as it helps me to see how i can improve to help you and others like you in the future.

Look forward to hearing your response.

Warm regards,

Elliott

The image did not send with the instructions on it so here it is:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Elliott. Not sure I'm confident doing this myself. Should I keep emptying water from a radiator each day to lower the pressure until I can get someone in or will it be ok to just leave it?
Hi, the best thing to do is monitor the pressure regularly. Release the pressure through the rad if it is easy to do so. The boiler does have a valve that releases pressure if it gets to high, but at times, after this valve has released the pressure it also starts to leak. So release from the radiator but know that you have a back up incorporated in the system for peace of mind.I hope it gets sorted soon for you. Is there anything else you would like me to help you with in regard to this project? Perhaps finding a reliable local tradesmen? I will be happy to help.Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Warm regards,
Elliott