Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I had a Potterton Precision boiler fitted by British Gas

Customer Question

I had a Potterton Precision boiler fitted by British Gas 3years ago. Some time ago I noticed water stains on the floor under the wall mounted boiler. . Water is appearing round the base of the right angle elbow passing through the wall to the outside flue. British gas came and I was told it was rain water coming in through the concentric flue pipe. At the time I accepted this but it has not rained for days and water is still dripping from the bottom of the boiler case. All pictures in the servicing manual seem to show the flue elbow mentioned above as having a square flange attached to it. Mine has a loose flange and the elbow is not as far into the boiler as is shown in the diagrams. Any thoughts LM
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 7 months ago.

What do they say when it is serviced?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I said above, "it's rainwater coming in". He tested the boilers functions and said it was fine. I'm hoping for some further information about what the problem might be before he comes back. Thanks L Mills

Do you get drips when it is running but not raining?

If so it could be a problem with the condense pipework internally?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it drips when running and is not raining. The water appears around the flange on the flue elbow at the top of the boiler, the flue then passes through the wall to the outside. This water at the top of the boiler is in a galvanised tray at the top of the boiler. This water then seems to find it's way to the bottom of the boiler casing and drips out of the bottom. As said above I am bothered by the flue elbow not looking as far into the top of the boiler as is shown in the Installation and Service instructions left with me when fitted. L Mills

You should not get condensation from this point, this sounds like it is not sealed correctly.

Can you upload a picture?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Attached, I hope, is a photograph of the flue elbow as it exits through the wall, and showing the water which appears round the flange and then collects in the corner of the tray before somehow finding it's way down to the bottom of the case where it drips out of the bottom of the boiler case. On all the diagrams I can see In the Intallation and Service Manual, the flange I refer too above seems to be attached to the flue elbow. Hope this helps any thoughts would be appreciated. L Mills.

It looks like it has been sealed with silicone?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't think so. Are you thinking of where the elbow goes into the wall or between the plate held with cross headed screws and the elbow. There is certainly no silicone there just a gap between the plate and the elbow where water ouses out when the boiler is working.

It looks like it is leaking from the boiler end of the elbow, are you saying it is dripping from the other end?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I am not saying it drips from the other end, I am saying the water appears from a slight gap around the bottom of the elbow, collects in the tray which is part of the top of the actual boiler, and then finds it's way down through the boiler itself, ( I am not taking it apart so I don't know how it travels down ). It then drips out of the bottom of the boiler casing onto the floor. Approx. half a litre a day when the boiler is running.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No reply?