UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

What does it mean to carry out soundness check in plumbing…

Customer Question
What does it mean...

What does it mean to carry out soundness check in plumbing system?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Doing a plumbing course and been given a scenario of a dripping tap. Fixed the dripping tap but need to carry out full soundness check of main fed cold water system with open vented hot water system. thanks.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Plumbing
Any response to my question yet?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/13/2016
Plumber: Brian, Plumber replied 2 years ago
Brian
Brian, Plumber

Hi this just means to check if the system has any further leaks.

Soundness Test

• BS 6700 - requirements for testing copper/plastic pipework
  • Testing non-plastic pipes
    • the installation shall be pumped up to 1.5 times the normal working pressure
    • the test shell be for 1 hour
    • during this there should be no visible leaks and no loss of pressure
  • Testing systems containing plastic pipes
    • Test A
      • Pumping for 30 minutes and pressure is noted
      • the pressure is reduced to one third of the test pressure
      • the pressure does not drop over the following 90 minutes
      • there is no visible leaks through out the test
    • Test B
      • the drop in pressure is less than 0.6 Bar (60kPa) after a further 30 minutes
      • and less than 0.2 Bar after the next 120 minutes
Pls reply to my follow up question.

Sorry I have no knowledge of a follow up question. I will opt out for you it may be clearer for one of my colleagues

Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer

Are you looking to test the cold water system or the hot water system too?

Both Hot and cold water soundness test is needed.