UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

A pump feeds two showers and a kitchen tap, but just

Customer Question
A pump feeds two...

A pump feeds two showers and a kitchen tap, but just recently no more than half-warm water comes out. Other taps and a bath - fed from same cylinder - have good hot water. I have checked hot inlet filter to the pump and it is clean. The problem persists even when I turn the pump off. Mystery!

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?

Not really.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Plumbing
Why would the hot water going through the pump (on or off) be a lot less hot than the hot water that isn't? They are both coming from the same water cylinder.
3/10/2016
Plumber: Brian, Plumber replied 2 years ago
Brian
Brian, Plumber

This is often caused by a cross flow in one of the showers from the cold side to the hot due to a faulty cartridge.

To check this isolate the hot water supply and turn on the kitchen hot tap if you get a flow of cold water through it isolate each shower in turn.