Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

We have a Baxi Combi 80e & 105e boiler. Our problem is the

Customer Question

Hi.. My name is ***** ***** we have a Baxi Combi 80e & 105e boiler. Our problem is the hot water doesn't work unless the heating is on. We've had a boiler specialist out several times who also called the manufacturer and they couldn't figure it out. He ended up refunding our money saying he hadn't been able to fix it. I'm wondering if it's just time to think about getting a new boiler. Ours is around 11 years old
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If I turn on the taps & the heat isn't on, only cold water comes out. Not sure what details you - the boiler specialist did all sorts of test & some replacement parts to no avail
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Plumbers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Does the boiler fire when you run the hot tap and the heating is off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It usually does the first time when using the hot water tap but if the hot water is adjusted with turning on a little cold water or is turned off than the boiler goes into a flashing red light mode and water goes cold.. hot water does not come back on unless we manually shut it off completely and restart.