UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I want to take off a radiator. I've done it a few times

Customer Question
I want to take off...
I want to take off a radiator for decorating. I've done it a few times before when we had a gravity fed system. In the last few years we've had a pressurised megaflo system put in, will this change how i should take of the radiator? I was going to turn of the boiler, close the two valves and cap them and then drain the radiator and take it off the wall. would this be OK?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Plumbing
2/24/2016
Plumber: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

Hi i am dan. I can help you with this. That should be fine are you draining the whole system or just the loop for that radiator? The most important thing will bee to blead the air out of the system when the radiator is put back. If they are just cast iron radiators it is just a matter of using the bleader at the top of the radiator. Also if the bleaders are old this is the perfect time to feplace them and they really don't cost much. Let me know if you have any more questions and if you could also rate me on my service by selecting one of the five stars I would appreciate it. Thank you for using just answer.

I don't want to drain the whole system, but take off the radiator so i can decorate.

Ok, in order to do that you will need to have a isolation valve on the supply and return pipe for that radiator do you have valves to isolate just that radiator? If not you will have to drain the whole system.

I have a valve at one end which i can turn off and a thermostatic valve at the other end which i can turn off. I will then cap both ends with brass caps. will this be OK?

That should be ok. If the valves hold and don't leak by you shouldn't need to cap them but better safe than sorry

did you have any more questions about this? if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars. thank you