UK Plumbing

Plumbing Problems in the UK? Ask a Plumber Now.

UK Plumbing

Got new bathroom installed with shower and new taps. Have a

Customer Question
valentine combi boiler and barely...
Got new bathroom installed with shower and new taps. Have a valentine combi boiler and barely getting a dribble from the new taps in upstairs bathroom. Very frustrating
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Plumbing
I have changed the isolator valves for the larger bore. Bled the raditors and added more pressure to the boiler.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
B
12/20/2015
Plumber: Brian, Plumber replied 2 years ago
Brian
Brian, Plumber

Hi yes this is a problem you will not be able to resolve im afraid.

Its about flow rates rather than pressure, and with the small pipe work feeding the hot and cold system you will never be able to get the quantity of water required to make this tap work properly.

This is the same for a lot of people who fit combi boilers and it takes ages to fill a bath. but the shower is fantastic.

The shower has small holes so the pressure coming out makes it feel and look good. the bath requires big holes to get a large quantity of water through.

the pressure in all upstairs taps was great in before the refit. Is it possible the that something in the combi boiler can be turned up which might have been effected when we drained the system?

The tap you have is a waterfall tap with a broad spout this decreases the pressure and requires more flow.

Has the pressure in the kitchen tap changed?

You are saying about your combi boiler, so is it just the hot that is affected? If yes then you may have a partially blocked plate heat exchanger but it wont be anything to do with the new bathroom.

pressure in the kitchen is also down. Increasing pressure by filling the boiler has little impact. Do I need a boiler man to take a look or is there something I can do as a DIY fix vailent evotepro 28 is the make and model.
Vailant ecotecpro 28

If its hot and cold pressure it has nothing to do with the boiler and you should be checking your main stopcock is fully open and not stuck giving the impression that it's open.

If it's just hot and all valves are open then you will need to call someone in who repairs boilers they will be equipped to check pressure difference between hot and cold. Your boiler pressure is just for heating please leave this at about 1.2 bar Cold or 1.6 hot or you could cause more problems.

OK understood re pressure, cold pressure downstairs is good, in the bath it is good, in the bathroom basin it is not good and hot is not good, shower it it OK and hotwater is not so good. Overall there seems to be a problem with hotwater to the bathroom, so it could be a restricted pipe, restricted flow from boiler, is that about the sum of it?

Ok so cold is good everywhere except basin. This indicates that tap has a problem. Could be due to the wide spout.

The rest is poor hot flow which indicates boiler plate heat exchanger or a restriction in the valve under the combi that turns off hot supply

OK, let me check our your suggested fixes and will get back once done.

Ok no problem

Brian
Brian
Brian, Plumber