Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

We have a Potterton Suprima 70. Currently timed to come on

Customer Question

We have a Potterton Suprima 70. Currently timed to come on hot water and hearing twice per day. It is usually firing in the morning and the heating comes on for a while but not for the whole time. The lights on the control panel come on at the appropriate time, it is just that nothing heats up. It rarely fires in the evening and will not fire when moved to constant 'on'. Have turned up thermostat on boiler and in hall to max and have turned up all radiators but it makes no difference. Have tried to reset but nothing happens. The light by the reset button is a green-orange colour. It turns fully green on the rare occasions the boiler fires up.
We have a log burner in the lounge downstairs so this room is warm but the rest of the house is freezing, especially the baby's room which is north facing and never getting heating.
We wondered if the log burner was affecting the thermostat ie making the central heating think that the house is warm enough. However, we had the log burner la
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

I am presuming you have hot water?

I would think that you have either a faulty thermostat or the motorised valve has failed .

I doubt your log burner is getting the hallway up to 25 degrees or more causing the thermostat to switch off when you have turned it up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we do have hot water. We also get a short hurt of heating, usually in a morning although it also fired after I ran a bath last night. I also noticed that just before the boiler stops, the green light flashes a few times.It is certainly not getting up to that temp in the hallway-it is freezing in there. 13 degrees at moment!
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

a flashing green light could mean you have a circulation problem. but that doesn't make much sense as you have hot water. its worth checking though if you can. the bif screw in the middle of the pump comes out and you should be able to see if the pump is spinning. You will need a small pot under it to catch a little water that comes out .