Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have hot water but no central heating. The boiler. Up

Customer Question

Hi
I have hot water but no central heating. The boiler. Up until last night everything worked fine. I have a Potterton Suprima boiler.
When I tried the hot water this morning, the pump kicks in and the boiler fires up ok.
I've tried turning the wall thermostat up, but after 15 degrees it doesn't making that clicking sound that usually allows the pump to kick in. Do I need to change the thermostat or is there another reason for the heating not coming on?
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I posted a question 2 days ago and am still awaiting an answer. Your website said I would get a response within a day.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

When you turn on your heating, does the motorised valve in the airing cupboard open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have heat!! :-) It took me a bit of googling to find out what the motorised valve is!!
It was in position W (hot water assume). I tried to push it down to the heating position but it returned back to the hot water.
After turning the heating on it moved to the M position, then to the H (which I assume is the open position).
Whatever was stopping the valve opening has now cleared. Is this problem likely to occur again? Will I need to have the motorised valve changed?