Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

I have a Ferrari maxima 35 condensing boiler. The radiators

Customer Question

Hi I have a Ferrari maxima 35 condensing boiler.
The radiators are only getting warm not hot and the radiator temp gauge is only showing 40 degrees after 30 mins. The burner indicator only has one out of 5 bars on. The water pressure when switched off is 1.5 but I did need to top it up this morning.
Why is the burner only on one bar?
Thanks
Gerry
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

I take it that the boiler has been working ok?

When was the last time it was serviced and the gas pressure checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well other than the radiators taking a good while to heat up, the boiler seems to be fine.About 12 months ago, the boiler was moved to a new location during a kitchen refurb, however, this problem did occur on and off before that. It was serviced a couple of years ago...I'm not sure if the gas pressure was checked then or when the boiler was relocated.

It sounds like not enough gas it is behaving normally but just not getting hot enough.

If the gas pressure is ok then perhaps the heat exchanger is scaled up internally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the heat exchanger be checked during a normal service?
I don't thin it's the gas pressure as the problem did exist before the boiler was relocated.
I've noticed that the burner only has one bar when I first put the heating on and then once it has been on for around 30 mins the burner increases to 3 or 4 bars and the affected radiators then seem to be hotter after an hour or so...I'm confused as to why some radiators go hot quite quickly and some take up to an hour to catch up...

There could also be a circulation problem, but that would tie up with the theory that the water quality is poor and is possibly blocking the heat exchanger