Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a Glow-worm flexicom 18 boiler which has stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Glow-worm flexicom 18 boiler which has stopped working somehow. We had the water off for 2 weeks whilst we were away. the people staying only used the immersion heater for hot water. Now the water is back on and the is demand, the boiler doesn't fire up.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Your boiler is a heat only boiler, so you will have a 3 port valve.

Can you locate it in your airing cupboard (a silver or white box on the pipework)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. All the pipework is easy to see and access in the airing cupboard. I can see a white box labelled "MID POSITION ACTUATOR" Made by Drayton, code MA1. Is that it?

That's it.

When the power is off or the hot water on only the lever should be stiff but open when pushed with resistance.

If the heating is on only then the valve should be all the way open and the lever slack

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, there is a small plastic lever on the side, which is all the way to back of the box (there is no indication if this open or closed) and will not move. Is that the lever you are refering to?

Yes, it sounds seized.

You will need to drain the system to swap this out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a bit of research and managed to move the lever to turn the motor, I think that the valve is fine, the lever moves back of it's own accord when there is power to it.

Ok, that is good.

Try taking the head off and spray WD40 on the spindle and it may stay working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** that a try.

No problem.

Come back if you need me again