Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  30 Years on the tools, now retired, Ex CORGI
15546140

Rick my boiler has a first ignition failure and

Customer Question

Hi Rick my boiler has a first ignition failure for DHW and CH if I leave it it will recycle and light no problem second time after 30 secs or so ! Any ideas
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
It could be a slow opening gas valve or dirty electrodes so it wont light until there is a better gas mixture in the combustion chamber. Can you check these?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've checked the electrodes and cleaned them they are fine not sure how to check the slow opening gas valve ? After the second successful ignition it will function and fire up continuously as required but if left off for several minutes it reverts back to first ignition fail .
To check a slow opening gas valve you would need to test the gas pressure to the burner and makes sure the pressure rises as soon as the boiler starts to fire