Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

Rick, thanks . I have 2 issues with a Sime

Customer Question

hi Rick, thanks for chatting. I have 2 issues with a Sime combi boiler. Issue 1:the central heating cuts out / doesn't work. The 3.5 bar pressure LED is lit (red). If I turn on nay cold water tap in the house the pressure drops to 2.5 bar and the central heating starts working!Thanks for your help. Tony. Sorry forgot to say the second issue,which may be related, is that the hot water has a brown look to it. Cold water is clear. Cheers Tony

Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony, You could have a problem with the expansion vessel, as far as I am aware they are at the back of the boiler and you should be able to access a valve (tyre Valve) on the top of the boiler. give this a quick push if you get nothing come out it needs pumping up if you get water come out its ruptured and needs replacing. if you get air come out you will need to isolate the boiler let some off the water out so that the pressure guage is at zero and put a tyre pressure gauge on the expansion vessel valve it should read in the region of 1 bar but accurate pressure should be available in the manual.Brian