UK Plumbing

Plumbing Problems in the UK? Ask a Plumber Now.

UK Plumbing

My home has installed a Baxi Bermuda inset back boiler and

a decorative gas fire front...
My home has installed a Baxi Bermuda inset back boiler and a decorative gas fire front. The installation was in 1996. The equipment numbers are Boiler G.C.N 37 077 31 /41 and Decorative Fire G.C.N 44 077 59.

The units have been maintained and inspected since installation by British Gas. In June of this year British Gas carried out their routine inspection.

The inspection of the back boiler was completed and the boiler put back into service. There was no comment by the inspecting engineer except to advise that current standards require the void to the right hand side be "bricked up". However, there was no action required by me as the installation was pre the current requirements.

The inspecting engineer turned his attention to the decorative fire. He made the comment that the burner was cracked and the sheet metal plate located along the line of the nozzles was slightly burnt, in line with the alleged crack. He placed a tag on the decorative fire denoted "Immediately Dangerous. Do Not Use".

I am a competent engineer and accordingly I inspected the burner for signs of thermal damage and after removing the carbon build up and polishing the surface of the burner I could not detect a crack, even through using a magnifying glass. The metal plate has a minor area ( 1/2 " x 1" ) burnt in the area of the carbon build up and in line with two of the very small nozzles.

I am in the process of putting the burner under a water head test pressure to determine either way that it is not fit to be returned to service.

I believe the carbon build up and plate damage was possibly due to a foreign body falling between the plate and the burner. Therefore I am placed in the position of requiring makers parts of a total new decorative fire to mate with the existing back boiler layout.

Can you advise on available parts and? or a new decorative fire to replace the original.
10/17/2012
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time.
1. If the catchment space has holes around the flue or pipework that are not sealed then according to the Unsafe Procedures it is "At Risk" and should be turned off anyway.
2. Make sure you inform British Gas this when you call them and use the engineers name.
3. There are spare parts still available for this fire and if you try your local Parts Center they will be able to help you (the Nottingham one is 0115(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Try this link for the manual and a short parts list at the end;
http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2159/I03-2159/I03-2159.htm

Hi Andrew,

I have made a telephone call to the number you provided in Nottingham.

They advise the decorative fire is out long out of production and the parts are obsolete.

The parts I am looking for are a burner, and a heat shield ( located under the imitation coal bed).

I have been rooting around for some time so I am aware the parts are not stocked. I have seen complete second hand Baxi Bermuda boilers and decorative fires for sale on the web , however I find pinning down if the equipment for sale is the Baxi B50/3 difficult. I would be prepared to buy a second hand pairing if I could ascertain it was a B50/3.and then use the decorative fire and scrap the purchased back boiler.

Good idea.
When I took mine out I sold it and there were people queuing to buy it.
If you do then I would be tempted to keep the back boiler and strip it for parts (maybe because I am sad like that!)

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in my response. The link you advised took me to the manual for the decorative fire. By reading the manual I was able to withdraw the decorative fire from its operating location.

After reviewing the design of the fire, I concluded that the "lip" at the front of the heat shield (under the "coals") was to retain the "coal casting" in its operating location and was not a combustion design issue. The "lip" is 15 inches long and the fire damage to the "lip" is over about a 2" length horizontally and a quarter inch from the leading edge. I concluded this damage is superficial and is not a safety issue.

The burner itself is a oval cross section sheet steel cylinder with two internal strengthening ribs arranged along the circumference. The burner has suffered a very slight heat distortion and the two ribs being stronger than the sheet metal have not distorted. Therefore the sheet metal at the ribs is marginally bigger in diameter than the sheet metal either side. However, the material of the burner is not showing a crack and the nozzles are all in good order.

Accordingly. I am going to continue with a water head test on the burner and then reassemble the fire to its normal operating status. I then plan to invite British Gas to reinspect the fire now it has been cleaned thoroughly in way of the alleged area with is brought about the safety issue.

Having now gone through the inspection process I am in a better technical position to challenge the opinion of the British Gas inspector .

Any comment

That all seems fine and well thought out.

To be honest I would not even tell British Gas you have reinstated the fire as long as you can prove it is safe, they will probably send a different engineer out who will say it is fine anyway.
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer