UK Plumbing

Plumbing Problems in the UK? Ask a Plumber Now.

UK Plumbing

EA Error Message On The Worcester Bosch Cd27I Boiler

Customer Question
Hi my worcester bosch cd27i...

Hi my worcester bosch cd27i boiler as a EA error message and flashing blue light and as done since the beginning of November. However I reviewed your online trouble shooting guide for this error message .... backed up water due to freezing conditions and even though it was not that cold out I did what it said with the boiling water on the pipe. This did get it to work, however it as continued to show this error message though out december, I just did the same thing and eventually got the pipe insulated as adviced on your website. This as not worked the error message appeared again and no matter what I try now the boiler will not stay on ( this as been about a week). I have even taken off all the pipe work and checked them for blockages and there are none. Could you please advice me on what to do next.

Also this does not effect the hot water - just when the heating is running. it will run fine with the heating switched off.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: UK Plumbing
Answered in 5 days by:
1/3/2012
Plumber: Andrew Smith, Engineer replied 5 years ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer

Do you leave power on to the boiler all the time?

yes the power as been on all the time, shortly after it was fitted we had the electrics done in the house so obviously at times there were power outages to the boiler, but that was complete in about April. We noticed problems with it in October only after using the heating intermittently over the summer months. I worked fine from August when it was fitted until march 2011.

There as been power cuts in my area where I have had to reset the boiler on a couple of occasions but I thik it worked after those.

I hope this is enough info

Ok, EA is a fault code to let you know it is filling the condense trap. It normally does this if there has been a power interruption or you have a leak on the trap itself. Can you confirm there is no water dripping from the appliance?

Hi

There is a white key on the underside of the boiler, that my father played with a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to fix the boiler it started leaking from the underside shortly after that but I did tighten the key back up to stop it leaking. However the boiler was already showing the error message before this happened.

We have also taken the trap and pipe off while looking for blockages in the condeser trap itself there were'nt any.

Can you prove that the water runs away and does not back up in the discharge pipe into the boiler?

I took the trap off and left it off and ran the heating,when the heating is running the pipe running from the boiler drips water. I have left it running like this for 30 mins while i was checking the trap for blockages, however the boiler still would not run with the trap off it still kept tripping off.

I hope this is making sense but even with the trap and pipe disconnected and water running freely from the boiler in to a bucket the heating still will not run.

Ok, if you know the condense is clear then you will need to check the following; Is gas cock turned on? Check gas supply pressure, power supply, igniter electrode and lead, ionisation sensing electrode and lead, flue duct and CO2 level.
All these can affect the ignition - do you think you can check most of these. Can you let me know whether you can actually see the boiler lighting at all or trying to light?

I am presuming Gas pressure is fine, we have a gas fire that is running fine, dont know if that tells you anything, the pressure dial is ok on boiler and when running hot water the pilot lights and stays lit.

The pilot is indicated by a green light on the boiler and this always fires up as normal when the hot water is running, like I have said there is no issues with the hot water part of the boiler and only when I turn the heating on to on does it show the error message, however if I turn the heating off and reset it, it stays on and the water runs fine.

So with this in mind gas and power supply seem not to be a problem unless of course the hot water runs independently of theheating?

With regards to the flue and CO2 how would I check these?

Also I don't think I have mentioned the loud noise like air trapped in pipes that the boiler makes before switching itself off, again this noise only occurs with heating.

Can you check the air vent near the top of the pump to ensure it is not shut?

sorry where is that ????

Inside the front cover on the right hand side - just under the combustion chamber, behind the pressure gauge.

What does it look like?

Is it the thing that looks like the cap off a toothpaste tube? as I have turned that and the boiler is so far staying on.

if you slacken it all the way but leave it on it will release any air that is trapped in the pump or adjacent pipework.

did that and the boiler had stayed on so far................. 10 mins now so fingers crossed

Thank you for your help

Just keep an eye on it.
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer