Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

Hi, Central heating boiler not firing up but can hear it working.

Customer Question

Hi, Central heating boiler not firing up but can hear it working. All lights and sliders working on box. Thermo clicking away ok but nothing happens. No heat in any radiators. Yesterday switched everything off because boiler casing got excessively hot. Help!
Mike.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name is Andrew - lets see if we can get you sorted in the shortest possible time. Do you have the make and model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Potterton profile 50e
Are you getting hot water?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Is the fan starting up, is the pump running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motorised sound from the boiler is the same as it has always been so I have to say that yes the pump was working ok up to me switching it off because the boiler casing got too hot. The system would not fire up, (no flame), no matter what I did.
If the fan is working (the pump will be in the airing cupboard) but it is getting no further, there sounds like a problem with the air pressure switch. Do you feel comfortable taking the case off and looking inside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean the bottom slide out part of the boiler casing?
No the front cover. Screws in the bottom and then should hook off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Front boiler cover now off
When you run the boiler you are looking for the following sequence - Fan, APS click, Pilot, Main burner. How far are you getting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't understand. Switched boiler on, got fan on and cold air blowing but nothing else happened. No click and what is aps?
If the fan is running well, then the next part is the air pressure switch (this tells the boiler that the fan is running). If it does not click then it is either faulty or the tubes from the fan to the APS are blocked.