UK Plumbing

Plumbing problems in the UK? Ask a plumber now.

I have four convection style, water fed radiators in my

retirement flat. In the past...
I have four convection style, water fed radiators in my retirement flat. In the past , although no plumber (!) one could 'balance' more usual rads via combination of thermostats
at one end and 'choke valves at the other (?) The living room is fine appearing controlled
only by its airstat whilst remaining four by 'Oventrop LGH' stats with 1-5 settings. Even at
maximum none of the latter come anywhere the formers heat output meaning at 83 I can be relatively cold in winter at my desk in bedroom with overheated living room. With casing
removed I can see no obvious mode of adjustment. Might this be likely before doing battle
with maintenance here ! With many thanks, *****
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/23/2011
Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Hi I am Rick, UK Plumber, and I specialize on Boiler problems, yes you are correct, heating systems are balanced by using the "lock shield valve" or control valve at the opposite end to the user valve, but in your case this is a wider issue as you are only a part of a much larger system, so you need to contact the maintenance department in order that they balance the system for you, which may well involve adjusting other flats in order to supply yours correctly, Rick

Sorry- being dumb. Happy to hit 'Accept Answer' but 'hit return' ?

we all do that from time to time, Rick

Hi Rick again. My"Sorry being dumb....." reply April 23 seems not to have been understood perhaps. Thought I'de made it clear I was happy to "hit accept answer" to enable your payment but was anxious not to do so until I could see how additionally to "hit return" as requested not to forget. Your reply seemingly repeats the same request ?

I would add (and this has no bearing on my willingness to accept your answer) I have no doubt your original answer was in good faith but suspect understandably guarded lest this 'old fella' was intent on attemptng balancing his rads as of old without reference to management here. I had mentioned however "before doing battle with management". The wider issue you mention is self evident but the nub of my question was merely how likely might there be convection rads without balancing adjustment

- no more.

Regards

Tony.

Sorry a bit of a misunderstanding, it is always possible to fit any radiator without a balancing valve, but not very sensible, and in a way more difficult as you have to make up fittings to get onto the pipe, a lot easier with the hand wheel and lock shield valves in a rad kit, but there are always the odd plumbers out there that do strange things, but in order to balance your system effectively you need these valves, Rick
Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer

Hi Rick

Thank you for your patience. Your comments would indicate to me it unlikey my

convection stylle rads are without some form of indiviidual balancing in this modern

complex and that in itself could be helpful.

You still appear to have ignored in each my communications how " I should not forget

to hit return" before or after (?) " Accept Answer " in order for your payment ! Hence

the delay so I'm just going to hit the latter and trust OK.

With thanks, Tony.

Sorry again about the Accept part, I really do not know, you have a different screen layout to me, all I can say is you should only hit the accept button when you are happy, we can have a long chat or a short one but only accept when you are satisfied with the answer, Rick